Monday, February 11, 2008

Cuando era Puertorriqueña (When I was Puerto Rican) by Esmeralda



Recommended by: Wilma Feliciano, Professor of Spanish
Call Number: F128.9.P85 S2718 1994 (Spanish)

Call Number: F128.9.P85 S27 1994 (English)


The bittersweet coming-of age story of a girl trapped in a conflicted cultural identity: Is she black or white, rural or urban, Puerto Rican or American? The story begins on the island with family turmoil and tenderness in an idyllic setting dotted by economic distress, then moves to New York where the protagonist suffers a bewildering transition to American culture and loss of innocence.

1 comment:

bkc90 said...

I read the english version of the novel "when I was Puerto Rican" and I found the novel to be one of the best novels I ever read. I thought that Santiago expertly displayed the perspective of an adolescent path from her childhood in Purto Rico to beginning to grow up and move to New York, a place completely differnt from where she called home. The sequel to the novel is also very good, although not as much as the first. The Sequel is called Casi una mujer or Almost a woman, also by Esmerelda Santiago.